A construction project to convert Flagler Street in downtown Miami into a “festival-style boulevard” has just obtained utilities approval from Miami Dade’s Water and Sewer Department.
The approval was recorded on December 17, county records show. It only required a $33 payment from the city, since no new square footage is actually being connected to the system (only relocation is involved).
According to the agreement, construction work will run from Biscayne Boulevard to Northwest 1st Avenue.
City of Miami spokesperson John Heffernan told The Next Miami on December 4 that permitting for the project with the state, county and city was still ongoing as of that date. No construction timeline is yet available, he said.
Construction had been expected to begin after the Super Bowl in February 2020.
The rebuild is designed to make Flagler Street more inviting to walk on, with cars placed at the same elevation as pedestrians.
New features will include wider sidewalks, more shade, outdoor dining areas, lighting and signage improvements, public art, and smart city technology.
The street itself will get design improvements that include patterned cobblestone-style pavers, curbless drains, railroad-themed streetscapes and enhanced landscaping.
Bollards will allow for the complete closure of the street to cars. Some parking spaces will also be removed, in favor of seating areas for restaurants.
Once the project is complete, Flagler Street is expected take back its spot as Miami’s downtown cultural destination, the city says.